The Compensation Department develops and maintains the salary system for full-time staff and administrative employees. Compensation, in conjunction with Human Resource Consultants, approve administrative and staff salaries and provide guidance to those who are accountable for administering salaries.
Compensation Department Responsibilities
- Evaluate position descriptions in order to determine appropriate job levels and titles
- Participate in and analyze salary survey data
- Maintain salary ranges and grade system
- Approve beginning salaries and increases with input from management
- Allocate, distribute funds and provide guidelines for Annual Salary Review
- Promote external competitiveness (Competitive pay in relation to comparable positions at other places of employment and within budgetary limitations.)
- Promote internal equity (Fair pay in relation to other positions at BYU which require similar knowledge, skill, and responsibility.)
- Provide consultation and research for compliance matters pertaining to wage and hour laws
- Oversee staff and administrative supplemental compensation
- Manage employee sick and vacation balance
- Perform full-time administrative and staff data maintenance
- Counsel departments to provide greater reward to employees whose performance truly excels
- Assist with department restructures
"The University desires to provide compensation that will attract and retain personnel qualified and capable of contributing to its operation and mission. The University will endeavor to provide proper internal and external equity. The system for determining individual salaries will conform to accepted compensation practices."