Skip to main content

What Do I Need to Get Hired?

Credit Hour Requirements

To be eligible to work as a student employee please view the minimum credit requirements below**:

US Citizen/ Permanent ResidentsUndergrad6.0 credits*3.0 credits* between both terms
US Citizen/ Permanent ResidentsGraduate2.0 credits*1.0 credit* between both terms
International StudentsUndergrad12.0 credits*12.0 credits* between both terms
International StudentsGraduate9.0 credits*9.0 credits* between both terms
ELC StudentsELC StudentsContact ELC OfficeContact ELC Office

*Day continuing credits.
**Exceptions can be made to these requirements. Click here for more information.

I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification

A newly hired student employee must come to the Student Employment Office to complete their I-9 form before the employee begins work.  Departments will be charged a $100 fine and reported on the University’s monthly compliance report for each "late" I-9.

Acceptable Documents for I-9 Certification

Click here to view a list of acceptable documents that may be used to satisfy the I-9 requirements in establishing an individual’s eligibility to work in the United States.  All documents must be valid. Photocopies, laminated documents and expired documents will not be accepted.

For persons under the age of 18 (who are unable to present a document from any listed as an above option in LIST B) one of the following three documents may be used to verify identity: School record or report card; Clinic, doctor, or hospital record; or a Day-care or nursery school record.

A Copy of the Social Security Card

Separate from the I-9, we require that you bring in copy of your social security card within 30 days of beginning employment. This copy can be a photo or photocopy of your original document.

Why do we need a copy of the social security card?

BYU policy states:

“To satisfy Internal Revenue Service regulations, employees (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international students) must present a social security card.” (

This policy comes, in part, because BYU uses the name and number of each employee for wage reporting purposes. This verification is set forth by the Social Security Administration as stated on their website:

“Each year employers send Copy A of Forms W-2 to Social Security. Social Security matches the name and Social Security number (SSN) on each Form W-2 against its database of all SSNs issued. When we find a match, we record the earnings information from the Form W-2 in the employee's earnings history.” (

In addition, the IRS Hiring Employees guidance reads:

“You are required to get each employee’s name and Social Security Number and to enter them on Form W-2” (

How to Obtain a Social Security Card

In the event you do not have an original Social Security card for IRS or I-9 purposes, you may obtain one by going to the local Social Security Administration Office.

88 W 100 N, Provo, UT 84601
Phone: (866) 366-9549
Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm

Once you have received your social security card, please bring it in to the Student Employment office (2024 WSC). Please note that you will need to bring in your card within 30 days to meet IRS requirements and up to 90 days to meet Federal I-9 regulations (if you were originally hired using a temporary Social Security Card receipt).