Skip to main content

Flexible Spending Account

A Flexible Spending Account Can Save You Money

Flexible Spending is a tax-exempt program regulated by the IRS. With Flexible Spending, you can set aside money from your pretax salary for medical, dental, and vision expenses each year. In a separate FSA you may also set aside money for dependent-care expenses.

How Does It Work?

  • Enroll and choose a dollar amount for the year (starting with your hire date).
  • The amount is divided equally between your remaining paychecks for the calendar year and deposited into your Flexible Spending Account (FSA).
  • Use the money in your FSA to pay for eligible expenses (copayments, coinsurance, prescriptions, glasses, contacts, dental expenses, etc.).
  • Pay for eligible expenses with your healthcare FSA benefit card or pay for them out of pocket and be reimbursed after you submit a claim to DMBA – either online or by mail.
  • Use all the money in your account(s) by December 31. For your dependent-care FSA, you will forfeit unused funds not claimed for eligible expenses incurred by December 31. For your healthcare FSA, up to $500 of unused money will automatically roll over to the next year for your use on eligible expenses. You will forfeit any unused balance over $500.
  • File all your claims by March 15 of the following year.

How to File for Reimbursement?

  • Claims can be filed online through Deseret Mutual's website or via paper form in the mail.
  • A paper FSA reimbursement form can be accessed online at There click on Resources, Forms, Library, and print out the Flexible Spending Account Medical/Dental Claim Form or the Flexible Spending Account Claim Form for Dependent Care.
  • Include an Explanation of Benefits from the insurance company for medical/dental claims such as:
    • Co-pays for doctor/dental visits
    • Therapy
    • Emergency room services
    • Medical equipment
    • Surgery or maternity or hospitalization
    • Emotional illness services
    • Radiology (X-Rays)
    • Dental work
    • Include receipts for prescriptions, glasses, contacts, contact lens solutions, hearing aids, etc.
    • For dependent child care include receipt from care giver with tax number of day care provider

Updates about Flexible Spending due to Covid-19

FSA Changes 14 April 2020

For more information, please see or contact Benefit Services at 801-422-4716.