Student Employment Procedures

26 February 2016

Conditions of Employment 

In order to work on campus, students must provide the necessary documents to establish employment eligibility and identity to satisfy the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Form I-9. A list of acceptable documents can be found here. To comply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provisions, the I-9 must be completed and certified by an authorized BYU employment representative before beginning work.

International students must be cleared to work by International Student Services (ISS) prior to accepting a position on campus. As part of this process international students must obtain a social security card before beginning employment. The application procedures for this process can be found here.

To satisfy Internal Revenue Service regulations, Student Employment must have a copy of each students’ social security card on file. An original, scanned, faxed, or emailed copy of the social security card will be accepted, but must be presented in person.

Work Schedules and Devotionals

Supervisors have the right and responsibility to set the work schedules of their employees. Supervisors determine break and meal periods based on departmental needs. Management should make every effort to deal fairly with student employees in practicing consistent and equitable procedures regarding break and meal periods.

Generally a ten minute break period for each four hours of work is recommended. Employees may not take a break period at the beginning or end of work shifts or accumulate break periods for use later. Break periods of less than twenty minutes are part of the paid working hours of an employee, therefore the employee should not clock out for short break periods.

Generally it is recommended that a meal period be taken (typically thirty minutes or more) after four hours of work. The employee is relieved from all work duties and is free to leave the premises. Employees should clock out for meal periods because they do not count as time worked.

Minor employees (under age 18) must be given at least a ten minute paid break period for each three hours of work and at least a thirty minute meal period (unpaid) starting no more than five hours after the beginning of the workday.

Student employees are expected to attend weekly devotionals and forums. Students who are employed in areas designated to continue operations during those times have special exception to this policy. Student employees should generally not be paid to attend devotionals; however, deans/directors have the latitude to make the final decision for their areas.

Concurrent Jobs

In some cases there may be sufficient reason for a department to consider employment of a student who is already working for another department at the university. In this event, the hire electronic Personnel Action Form (ePAF) will be routed to the concurrent department for their approval. Students may not be employed on more than three hourly account codes.

Work Hour Restrictions

Per the Student Employment Policy, during fall and winter semesters, undergraduate students should not work more than twenty hours per week unless special exceptions have been granted by the Student Employment Manager. Per federal regulation, international students may never work more than twenty hours per week unless approved through International Student Services. Work hours are counted within the parameters of the BYU workweek which begins Saturday at 12:01 a.m. and ends at midnight the following Friday.

During their approved vacation break and on approved holidays and breaks international students may work additional hours if approved by their supervisor, so long as working additional hours otherwise complies with university policy.  The Student Employment Holiday/Break Schedule can be found here.

Employment Procedures for Hourly Students

Departments may post vacant student jobs on the Student Employment job board at Assistance with the system is available at 2-3562, ext. 2. Application instructions and required qualifications should be included on job postings. A list of possible interview questions for use can be found here. Employee selections should be made on the basis of qualifications.

After the department interviews and selects their applicant of choice, a hiring manager authorized to access the Human Resource/Payroll system will need to submit a hire ePAF. At that time, the hiring manager will be able to determine if the student’s I-9 is okay or not. If the I-9 is not okay, the student should be sent to Student Employment with appropriate documentation (please see the Conditions of Employment section above for further details). Students may begin work as soon as the hiring manager who submitted the student’s ePAF receives an email confirming the hire has been executed into the system.

Wages need to be within allowed amounts as outlined on the Student Hourly Pay Scale  and the Academic Salary Scale. Please contact Student Employment 2-3562, ext. 2 for questions regarding wage approvals outside these amounts.  

Termination dates should always be effective one day after an employee’s last day of work.

The university generally gives preference to students who meet current student employment guidelines as outlined in the Student Employment Policy. However, university administration may make special exceptions from time to time in order to help fill hard-to-fill positions. These needs will be considered on a semester by semester basis, based on current market conditions.

Employment Procedures for Contract Students

All student employees must be paid hourly, unless they are an undergraduate who is working in a position that has been approved by Student Employment to be paid on contract or they are graduate students working as teaching assistants or research assistants. Departments may hire graduate students as teaching assistants or research assistants if their duties meet the following criteria:

  • Teaching Assistant - a graduate student (an individual who has received a bachelor's degree and is accepted and currently enrolled in a degree-seeking graduate program at BYU) who:
    • is materially involved in classroom instruction,
    • requires specialized knowledge of teaching material and exhibits independent discretion and judgment, and
    • is involved in predominantly intellectual activities in advancing classroom instruction.

This assignment could range from full charge and responsibility for a class or required laboratory section to material involvement with a professor in the instructional enterprise.

  • Research Assistant - a graduate student (an individual who has received a bachelor's degree and is accepted and currently enrolled in a degree-seeking graduate program at BYU) who:
    • is materially involved in original research,
    • makes independent judgments and selections regarding research design, procedures, and data collection, and
    • exhibits independent intellectual judgment in analysis and reporting of research.

Departments should refer to the Student Employment (SE) Academic Salary Scale approved by the university in preparing contracts for teaching and research assistants. Exceptions to pay rates below values listed on the SE Academic Salary Scale must be approved by the manager of Student Employment. Exception to pay rates above values listed on that scale must be approved by the Academic Vice President’s Office and the manager of Student Employment. Exceptions to pay rates above values listed on that scale which are paid on research accounts will also be reviewed by Regulatory Accounting.

Student Employment Medical Appeals

Students may be granted an exception to work with fewer than required credits for approved medical reasons. Medical appeals are typically granted on a short-term basis. Satisfactory academic standing and proof of academic progress will be significant factors in the evaluation of the appeal. In all cases, the overall well-being of the student and his or her ability to maintain schooling as his or her primary focus will be strongly considered. If working on campus will inhibit the physical, mental, or emotional recovery of the student in any way, or his or her progress towards taking a full academic course load, the appeal will not be approved.

In order to be eligible for a medical appeal, U.S. citizens and permanent residents must have day-continuing status with the university, and be enrolled in at least some credit(s) required for graduation in the completion of his or her major or minor coursework.

It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the forms associated with the medical appeal process are completed and turned in to Student Employment (2024 WSC) when completed. Associated forms can be found and downloaded here or picked up in person at Student Employment. When completing the Medical Appeal Form C, the healthcare provider will be instructed to return it to the student in a sealed and signed envelope. Brigham Young University reserves the right to consult with the healthcare provider involved in the evaluation of the student’s health condition(s) if needed.

In order to be eligible for a medical appeal, non-citizens will first need to be approved for a Reduced Course Load through International Student Services. They will then need to complete the same steps as outlined above for other students. If eligible, non-citizens will be held to the same credit-limit requirements as citizens and permanent residents.

For questions regarding the medical appeal process, please contact Student Employment at (801) 422-3562, ext 2.

To see the university policy to which these procedures are associated, please click here.